Image protection is one of the main website intellectual property
security issues for almost all webmasters.
Image theft is probably the most common form of web site content theft. All owners of sites with high quality pictures of any kind, image galleries and so on know that very well. Once some picture is posted online, it is being stolen and used in other web sites almost immediately, in many cases after less than an hour. Putting watermarks in images or copyright notices in your source code can't help at all.
To prevent this, some webmasters are forced to use java or activeX viewers, but this is big browser compatibility problem - not more than 40-50 % of your visitors will be able to see the secured content. According to the latest statistics about 70% of the browsers are java enabled, but on most corporate PC's running applets, as well as installing 3rd party activeX controls is strictly prohibited. So such viewers provide relatively good security, but at the price of losing more than the half of your potential visitors - they are not an effective image protection solution.
With Encrypt HTML source, you can protect images on your website and
be sure they can't be stolen. At the same time, they can still be viewed in
are completely different things).
Your image files will be secured against:
- direct saving to disk - it is not possible to save a secured jpg, gif, png or bmp file to your hard disk.
- Internet Explorer 6.0(and later) Image Toolbar - versions 6.0 and later of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser provide a very quick and convenient way to instantly copy, save, print or even burn to a CD or DVD any picture you want - you just have to put your mouse over it and select the desired action. This IE feature greatly simplifies the content theft - but it can't be used for secured image files.
- retrieving from the browser's cache (temporary internet files)
- direct linking from other websites - many "web designers" directly put in their pages links to images hosted on other servers, this way not only stealing your content, but also your bandwidth which in most cases has to be paid. So image protection can save you a lot of money as well, in case you have to pay for the traffic.
- site rippers and download managers - many programs can download entire websites, including all external files referenced in the html documents. With such a tool, it is a matter of minutes to get just everything included in some website - but only if it is not protected. All download managers and site ripping tools will fail to retrieve the files from protected web pages.
Note that image protection has certain technical limitations, you can't
protect images in all available formats:
- protect jpg image files
- protect gif images (non-animated) . Animated gif's can't be protected - if you do so, the resulting secured image will only show the first frame of the animation. There are no limitations in regard to non animated gif files.
- protect bmp(bitmap) files
- protect png files (portable network graphics format, which is becoming more and more popular).
You can not:
- secure files in other formats such as tif, svg, etc. Only gif, jpg, png and bmp files can be secured ( please look in the help file for the full list of the supported file types ).
- secure image maps or background images (page or table backgrounds) directly.
All the limitations of web image protection , the known problems and how to solve them is explained in details in the program's help files and in our online FAQ. Please read carefully all help sections in case you have problems to protect image files.